- Warren Buffett's purchase of almost 3,500 tons of silver in 1997 helped turn Thomas Kaplan into a billionaire.
- After the silver bubble burst in early 1980, the precious metal plunged in price from $50 an ounce to below $10, and it was widely dismissed as a bad investment.
- "What really put and end to it was when Warren Buffett bought [those] ounces of silver," Kaplan, the chairman of NovaGold Resources, told shareholders this month.
- "It became public that he had done this the week when I was taking my silver company public," Kaplan said. "That changed everything."
- Kaplan told Business Insider he personally thanked Buffett at a dinner years later.
May 23, 2020